Daily School Procedures
The HRE front office is open from 7:15am – 2:55pm during the school year.
You can reach the office by calling 317-915-4240.
Reporting Absences and Late Arrivals
Please notify the office of all absences and late arrivals by 8:00 a.m. Absences must be reported to the OFFICE to be excused. You can leave a message on the attendance line by calling (317)915-4240 and selecting option 2; or speak to the office staff. When leaving a message, please include your student’s name, grade, teacher, and the reason for the absence or late arrival. If reporting a late arrival, please also include the approximate time your student will be arriving and their lunch choice.
If your student will be missing school for a pre-arranged absence of two or more days, please contact the office to get a pre-arranged absence form. This will need to be filled out and returned to the office prior to the absence.
Reporting Early Releases
If your child needs to leave early, please send a note (signed and dated) to the teacher including your student’s name, the time of pick-up, and name of the person picking up. The person picking up the student will need to show their valid driver’s license to check the student out. We will call your student down when they arrive. We ask that early release students are picked up by 1:55.
If sending a note is not possible, please call the office to report the early release. Without written consent, only people listed in Skyward as family or emergency contacts will be allowed to check the student out.
School Dismissal Manager
Hoosier Road Elementary utilizes School Dismissal Manager for daily dismissal changes. Dismissal Manager lets teachers and staff know how your student needs to get home each day (bus/car/YMCA). Each family receives specific login credentials from School Dismissal Manager at the beginning of the school year. All students are automatically set up to be a default bus rider. During the first week of school, parents can change their child’s default. Any changes to default dismissal instructions after the first week of school will need to be made by the office staff. Please send an email or call the front office to let them know about the change. If you need to change your student's dismissal on any given day, you will need to log in to your SDM account and add an exception for the day no later than 1:00 pm. Each grade level teacher receives an emailed report of their students’ dismissal instructions for that day.
· Locate your email from the SDM system directly with your "Parent Credentials" including login and password information. The username is the email you have listed in skyward. Check your spam folder if you cannot find the email.
- DO NOT USE SDM FOR EARLY RELEASES.
- Click on the link in that email to access the login page via web browser.
- Set a new password and save your login and password.
- Click on the date you would like to make a change, then click on “Add Exception” button, select the dismissal instruction from the drop-down menu, add the required note pertaining to that exception (notes must include at least 3 characters, ie. 52 would give an error, use #52). Next, click “Update Schedule Changes” to save the changes.
- A one-time exception does NOT change the locked default. For example, a dentist appointment may be scheduled, and you would like to pick your child up instead of having them ride the bus. You would login and create an exception just for that day from "BUS" to "CAR RIDER."
- All exceptions must be made by 1:00pm daily. If a change is needed after 1:00pm, a call to the front office at (317) 915-4240 would be required to ensure the teacher is notified. Teachers will be instructed to go by their daily School Dismissal Manager report for all dismissal directions.
Early Release from Fieldtrips
If you are chaperoning a fieldtrip and would like to take your child home with you, please email the principal to get preapproval to have your child leave early. Mrs. Ricketts's email is email@example.com. We do ask that you send your request 24-48 hours prior to the trip. Please note: Early releases are noted on your student’s attendance record.
If a student forgets an item at home and needs a parent to drop the item off at school during school hours, please bring it in to the front office. Please label the item with your child’s first and last name and their teacher’s name. We will let the teacher know it is here. If you are ever sending money in for your child, please be sure that it is in a sealed envelope clearly labeled with your child’s name, teacher’s name, student ID #, and what the money is for.
Visiting and Volunteering
Hoosier Road Elementary always has many opportunities for parents to become involved. Whether it’s through volunteering in the classroom or a PTO event, attending classroom activities, etc., you must have a valid background check on file. Background checks are valid for three years. Please allow up to 6 business days for checks to be completed. Please follow the link below and click on the Visiting and Volunteering tab for complete directions. https://www.hseschools.org/departments/school-safety
HRE will allow lunch visitors starting after Labor Day. In order to get on the lunch visitor list, you must have a valid HSE SafeVisitor background check on file. Due to limited space in our cafeteria, we can only have one visitor per grade level per day. To get on the visitor list, you MUST call the school the day you would like to visit to see if there is availability for your child's grade level. We will take calls for lunch visitors any time before your child's lunch starts, but if you wish to order a school lunch, you must call to place your order no later than 8:30am. Adult lunches cost $4.30 and must be paid using exact cash or a check made out to HRE. The cafeteria does not keep cash on hand so it will not be possible to make change and the district does not allow adult meals to be charged to student's lunch accounts. No fast food or soda is allowed in the cafeteria.